WEAll Weekly Update – April 22
As part of our work to amplify the important work in the Wellbeing Economy movement, these WEAll Weekly Update blogs will share some of the latest and greatest updates from our membership and beyond. Please use the comment box to share any relevant updates from this week and keep the conversation going!
From a Harmless Bet to Russian Roulette – Katherine Trebeck and Dirk Philipsen
Shall we continue to follow past wealth creation and place faith in inventiveness based on markets and monetary valuations? Or shall we take a broader perspective that acknowledges the enormous costs of wealth production and values life beyond the marketplace?
Economic Journals’ Engagement in the Planetary Emergency: A Misallocation of Resources? – Economists for Future
The planetary emergency is an intellectual and humanitarian challenge that urgently warrants a significant amount of research attention from the economics profession. Is this happening?
Economic growth is no longer a sustainable solution to these problems. It is therefore imperative that we consider how welfare systems will cope with these challenges in the absence of economic growth. We review the literature tackling this complex problem
2020 has been a year like no other. This whole report focuses on the effects of COVID-19 and how people all over the world have fared
Life among the Econ: fifty years on– Thomas Palley
Fifty years ago the Econ used to say “Modl-ing is everything”. Now they say “Modl-ing is the only thing”. The math priesthood has been joined by a priesthood of economagicians. The fundamental social divide between Micro and Macro sub-tribes persists, but it has been diluted by a new doctrine of micro foundations. The Econ remain a fractious and argumentative tribe.
Democratising Football- Common Wealth
From Bury to Barcelona, modern football is increasingly marked by inequality, debt, and a growing detachment from the communities that sustain the clubs. But it doesn’t have to be this way; democratic forms of ownership and governance, coupled with clubs employing intentional, place-based anchor approaches, can help bring the people’s game back home to fans and communities.
Systemic Design Toolkit helps you co-create interventions to tackle organisational and societal complexity.
Shifting the Narrative – The Opportunity Agenda
As the concept of “narrative” has grown in prominence within the advocacy space, more stakeholders are recognizing the centrality of storytelling to systemic change. But how do we define narrative and the elements that contribute to a successful narrative change strategy? Is change inevitable or the product of coordinated efforts that are possible to replicate?
Mind Our Business: Amplify the transformative power of sustainable and inclusive business models through EU external action
The report illustrates how a focus on sustainable and inclusive business models can help the EU advance on its various objectives; whether creating decent work opportunities, empowering women, reaching out to more marginalised people or contributing to the ecological transition.
“The report identifies the root causes of interconnected climate, social and health injustice, and outlines the case for five key policy demands: decarbonising the UK economy; creating green jobs for all; combating air pollution to ensure healthy air; providing quality homes for all; and delivering food and land justice.”
Were Economists Prepared for the Pandemic?– Rethinking Economics
“Increasingly, it is economists that governments turn to when responding to these crises, but do their economics courses do enough to prepare them for this vital role?”
“This briefing – which introduces Common Wealth’s programme of work on the future of the sector – explores the implications of this rise and concentration in assets and, by extension, economic power, setting out key questions for policymakers, particularly with respect to this industry’s growing role in our response to global challenges, from ensuring a strong and fair Covid-19 recovery to tackling the climate crisis.”
“Anti-capitalist organising must be rooted in a commitment to see the world for what it is but at the same time push forward with unrelenting hope that another world, a better one, is possible.”
“We’re joining the coalition because we believe that now is the right time to raise the bar for British business across the board, it’s time for broader accountability to be a legal requirement for the many, not just a moral imperative for the few.” – Arlo Brady, Freuds
“Environmental Justice demands that public policy be based on mutual respect and justice for all peoples, free from any form of discrimination or bias.”
“This paper presents the results of what may be the world’s first randomized control trial on community currencies. In 2020, Grassroots Economics’ Community Inclusion Currency (CIC) model was adopted by the Kenya Red Cross as a humanitarian response to the Covid-19 pandemic.”
Job Openings & Opportunities
- SOAS Feminist Economist Network Writing Opportunity
- Cities and Regions Lead – DEAL
- The U&K International Summer School 2021
- Head of Global Challenges and SDGs programme– Institute for European Environmental Policy
- Restoring Africa’s Drylands Journalism Fellowship
- Various Positions – School of International Futures
- Political adviser and APPG co-ordinator – Green Alliance
- Certificate in Creating Wellbeing
- 2021 Photographic Challenge – Systems Change Alliance
- What’s your vision for the future? – Submit your story!
What to Watch
- A Feminist Lens on Migration & Trade: Women Reframe the Policy Debate in a COVID World.
- How Do We Design Policies for a Wellbeing Economy? – World Happiness Fest
- WEAllTalk March 2021 – Amanda Janoo – Fostering a femxle-led transformation of economic thinking.
- Global Challenge – Local Leadership To Achieve Collective Action on Climate Change-Seminar with Amanda Janoo, Ayo Fatunde and Dirk Phillipsen
- Decolonizing the mind with Ngugi wa Thiong’o
- WEAll Talk: Exploring the intersection of biological and socioeconomic issues in the time of Covid-19 – Liepollo Lebohang Pheko
- Wellbeing Economy Petition Launch – CUSP UK
- Hunger for Justice S2 E2: Rich Earth, Red Earth & The Fight For Land Justice in the Phillippines via Possible Futures
- Woman Power Conference with WEAll Ambassador Liepollo
- On Healing the Planet and Ourselves from the Ground Up with Erin McMorrow and Della Z Duncan
- Upstream Podcast: What is…. Feminism for the 99%? – What Next Summit
- The Five Ways to Happy Workplaces
- The Economics of Arrival with Katherine Trebeck
- Tyson Yunkaporta: Untold World
- Did We Go too Far?
- PB or not PB: Participatory Budgeting To Give Citizens Control
- Power of the Streets
- Robin Wall Kimmerer in Conversation with Robert Macfarlane
- April 23: Feminist Friday’s – Women in Migratioin Network
- April 27 & 28: SEWF 2021
- April 29: Are we on track for a sustainable Europe? Launch of the European Green Deal Barometer report
- May 6: WEAll Policymakers Event
- May 11: Women at the forefront of the Wellbeing Economy
- May 11: Weaving Systemic Alternatives from the Global South/Tejiendo Alternativas Sistémicas del Sur Global
- May 15: Systems Change Alliance Summit- Beyond the Great Reset
- May 19-20: Tech & Racial Equity Conference: Anti-Racist Technologies for a Just Future
- May 17- 21: #ClimateExp0 Conference
- May 19 & 20: Impact Summit – FutureX
- May 26 & 27: European Social Economy Summit
- June 2-4: Conference – Women, Solidarity, and Ecology
- June 20 : World Localization Day – Local Futures
- Systems Innovation Event Series
- Next Economy MBA “Meet the Instructors” – LIFT Economy
- Regeneration Pollination “Speed Networking” Events – the Global Regeneration CoLab
- Fashion Revolution Week – A series of thoughts on fast fashion
- WEAll California Narratives Event Recap
- I was born on a waxing moon – a poem by Sarah Gamrani
- Guest Blog: Ross Cameron from Remade Network
- UK petition demands a shift to a Wellbeing Economy
- Ever Given consumerism a second thought?
- Faces of the Wellbeing Economy: Francesco Temperini, Rome, on multi-dimensional wellbeing analysis
- Policies for Economic Revolution: Some Ideas from the Womxn of 36×36
- Event Recap: WEAll Policy Design Guide launch
- Meet Jimmy Paul: WEAll Scotland’s New Director
- Children’s Wellbeing Budget by Dr. Katherine Trebeck
- WEAll Policy Design Guidebook
- Stories For Life
- Wellbeing Economy Messaging Guide– Positive Money, PIRC, NEON, and WEAll
- Measuring Wellbeing, Rutger Hoekstra
- Business in the Wellbeing Economy, Olga Koretskaya & Gus Grosenbaugh
From the Archives
- 10 Principles to Build Back Better
- Rebuilding to a US Wellbeing Economy
- What is a Wellbeing Economy?
- The Business of Wellbeing Guide